Sunday, February 14, 2010

Social Bookmarking

Social bookmarking has created a whole new spin on research and has made my life as a student so much easier. Before learning about this amazing new tool, I spent hours doing research at the library or using the Internet, and now I almost literally can sit back and wait for information to come to me.

"Social bookmarking is a way for you to save your favorite blogs and Websites in a public space the same way you might save them using your own Web browser." – A Survival Guide to Social Media and Web 2.0 Optimization by Deltina Hay

However, using a bookmarking site, you are able to find your favorite websites with ease from any computer with Internet access. You are also able to find other fellow book-markers who share your same interests and see the sites which they have bookmarked. After learning about social bookmarking I was excited to know that my hours spent researching will now be faster and easier than ever before.


For about a month now I have been testing out sites such Delicious and Digg and I am seriously addicted. I have always had so much trouble searching for specific topics on the net, never knowing what key words to use or what search engines are most efficient. I could never get the quality of information that I was looking for, and many times the sources were not up to date. With these websites I am able to find varying opinions and links to blogs and media sites from around the world. I feel more connected than ever!

Try it out and let me know what you think of this technological phenomenon.

1 comment:

  1. I think out of all the social bookmarking sites out there, google reader is my new best friend- especially because once you subscribe to a bookmarking site, such as delicious, you never have to actually LOOK for anything anymore, its all processed into google reader. Learning about social bookmarking sites is definitely something I will take with me after this class.

    ReplyDelete